Which empire competed with the Portuguese empire
The division of the world
- His real name was Rodrigo Borgia, he became famous as Pope Alexander VI. He used his power to divide the world of the then known southern hemisphere - and to found an empire of immeasurable wealth that nobody knew existed.
In 1492, as he mistakenly believed, Christopher Columbus had found the sea route to India and had actually landed in America. The Spanish princes wanted to protect the new discoveries from arch-rival Portugal. Both countries competed for the lucrative spice trade.
So the princes turned to the Pope. In May 1493 he struck the islands and countries west of the 38th degree of longitude and south of the Canary Islands. Portugal protested because the ships of the trading power had to take long detours because of the border demarcation when they sailed back from Africa to their home ports.
After tough negotiations, the Treaty of Tordesillas was finally signed on June 7, 1494 under the leadership of the Pope. With him, the Portuguese Empire grew larger and moved further west, from the 38th to the 46th degree of longitude. All areas to the west of this line fell to Spain.
Literally it said: "Everything that has been found and discovered up to now from the King of Portugal and his ships to the west up to the line mentioned and not beyond and will be found and discovered in the future, remains and belongs to the King and his successors forever . "
Portugal had brought out the best for itself: a route for the spice trade and a huge colonial empire that stretched from the Atlantic islands of Madeira and Sao Tome through Brazil and many bases in West Africa, Indonesia and China. The trade in sugar, spices and slaves was in Portuguese hands.
At that time Spain could not have known how valuable this division of the world would be for the country. The still undeveloped continent of America fell to him. Just like the gigantic amounts of gold and silver that no one knew about. -
- With whom does Celaena end
- How does a lobbyist work 1
- How does the market cycle fluctuate?
- Why are inner cities so dangerous
- To what extent is cross country rated
- How are soccer shoes designed and manufactured
- What's the most distracting thing ever
- Why is red considered a feminine color
- Where does meat come from
- Is software testing illegal?
- Whatsapp is a non-profit organization
- How did Ohio become a state
- Charter schools are usually for profit companies
- Why is place value important in math
- How does the cremation smell
- How long are natural gas fields productive?
- Why do some people despise the good of others?
- How do I hire a DUI attorney
- What motivates the schadenfreude
- How can I read EKG
- What does Socrates mean?
- Which websites every parent should know
- A jaw operation would correct my weak chin
- What causes enlarged spleen