Padma Lakshmi is a food expert
Similar authors to follow
A vivid memoir of food and family, survival and triumph,Love, Loss, and What We Ate traces the arc of Padma Lakshmi’s unlikely path from an immigrant childhood to a complicated life in front of the camera — a tantalizing blend of Ruth Reichl’s Tender at the bone and Nora Ephron’s Heartburn
Long before Padma Lakshmi ever stepped onto a television set, she learned that how we eat is an extension of how we love, how we comfort, how we forge a sense of home — and how we taste the world as we navigate our way through it . Shuttling between continents as a child, she lived a life of dislocation that would become habit as an adult, never quite at home in the world. And yet, through all her travels, her favorite food remained the simple rice she first ate sitting on the cool floor of her grandmother’s kitchen in South India.
Poignant and surprising,Love, Loss, and What We Ate is Lakshmi’s extraordinary account of her journey from that humble kitchen, ruled by ferocious and unforgettable women, to the judges’ table ofTop boss and beyond. It chronicles the fierce devotion of the remarkable people who shaped her along the way, from her headstrong mother who flouted conservative Indian convention to make a life in New York, to her Brahmin grandfather — a brilliant engineer with an irrepressible sweet tooth — to the man seemingly wrong for her in every way who proved to be her true ally. A memoir rich with sensual prose and punctuated with evocative recipes, it is alive with the scents, tastes, and textures of a life that spans complex geographies both internal and external.
Love, Loss, and What We Ate is an intimate and unexpected story of food and family — both the ones we are born to and the ones we create — and their enduring legacies.
- What are the Mexican beliefs
- Why are companies withdrawing H1B petitions
- How is Navyana Buddhism different
- When did people start to eat squid?
- How to make risotto in advance
- How good is NIT Trichy
- Why is Norway not improving the E6
- What is the largest family of plants
- What was the gilded age
- How do vaporizers explode
- Are anxiety-related palpitations physically unhealthy
- Is there something that science cannot verify
- Eating seeds is harmful to our colons
- Are anaemic people caught more easily
- Well worth buying the Motorola One Zoom
- Has left Vikram Lander forever
- What is PRD in SAP
- Who won the Champions League in 2012?
- Who is the best astrologer in Jamshedpur
- Should one pursue knowledge or money
- Believe advertising destroyed art
- Why infinity matters in math
- How can I be a better Christian
- What are ribosomes 1
- Narcs are sexual demons
- Has anyone had a stalker before?
- Should Quora have a night mode function
- What is the purpose of soffits
- Were there any noir directors
- How many birds does a sparrowhawk eat
- How does Bryan Callen make money
- How do you keep a conservation area going
- What is the importance of friendship counseling
- Brian Jones was murdered