Why did people believe what they see
Think! No way, in the Middle Ages people thought the earth was flat
Supposedly, people in the Middle Ages believed that the earth was flat. Shipmen are said to have feared falling into space as soon as they reached the edge of the earth. Anyone who believes this is doing people an injustice in the Middle Ages. In the 6th century BC, the earth was described as a sphere, for example by Pythagoras or Plato. In the 4th century BC, Aristotle even wrote a text about why the earth was spherical in shape, as did Pliny in 79 BC. Her works had long been translated in the Middle Ages.
The twisted image of the Middle Ages
But why do you think today that the earth was described as a disk in the Middle Ages? Anyone who deals with it automatically deals with the "dark" or "gloomy" Middle Ages, which is even used as a synonym for "backward, ignorant, uneducated" in colloquial language.
Many have a share in this falsified image: there are the scholars of the Renaissance who use the devaluation of the previous epoch to shed their own merits in a brighter light. Then there are historians who look much further back in the debate: They compare scholarly manuscripts from different epochs before and after Christ and interpret the disk representation as a dispute between religion and science.
The question of the interpretation and translation of individual words also plays a role here. Another "culprit" identified in the debate is textbooks that spread the image of the navigator Columbus, whose crew was still afraid of falling from the edge of the earth's disk. Neither the disc debate nor a look at historiography will probably ever be completed.
- Why don't students like history and math?
- How many users does 1Password
- Why do you always like to travel individually
- Do poets make good audiences
- What do feminists think of vegetarianism
- Can you fix ugliness
- What is the Anime School Days about
- Why was the TV series Bones canceled
- When did your yoga pose go wrong?
- What is the name of a puppet master
- Why don't dogs get human flu
- Do you speak English in Hungary?
- Which music genres are ethnically different
- Quora amplifies the political bubbles
- How many atoms in a molecule
- Aesthetic science is possible
- Are AP classes important
- How can the Urdu language be destroyed
- Why did Jason Newsted leave Metallica
- What is a framework in psychology
- Streaming music could harm the planet
- Which is better SRM or Graphic Era
- Who sold YouTube to Google
- What is AML in oncology