What's the point of LHC
The European Organization for Nuclear Research
Aerial view of CERN. The circle marks the underground course of the LHC. Photo: CERN
CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire), is one of the largest and most renowned centers for basic physical research in the world. This is where researchers look for the fundamental laws of the universe. At CERN, the world's largest and most complex devices are used to research the smallest components of matter: the elementary particles.
The devices that CERN uses for this purpose are particle accelerators and detectors. The accelerators bring the particles to high energies before they hit each other. The detectors observe and record the results of these collisions. By studying the collisions of elementary particles, scientists gain knowledge about the laws of nature.
Aerial view of the CERN site.
The research center CERN was founded in 1954 and is located on the border between France and Switzerland near Geneva. CERN was one of the first joint European projects and today has 23 member states.
The Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF takes on around 20 percent of the CERN budget of around 1 billion euros annually. This makes Germany the largest contributor. The BMBF also provides 15 million euros annually for projects at universities and research institutions in Germany that participate in the work at CERN and use the research facilities.
- Founding year: 1954
- 23 member states, Germany is a founding member
- Total budget 2019: around 1.14 billion euros, about 21 percent from Germany
- Scientists at CERN: more than 12,000 from 85 nations
- Accelerator: Large Hadron Collider LHC, over 1000 German scientists conduct research here.
- General Director: Dr. Fabiola Gianotti (Italy)
- Why can't a scientist explore beyond Pluto?
- A competitive mindset is important
- How is a person classified
- How deep is a woman's vagina
- What is Lake Ontario
- How was your most unhappy relationship
- What should we learn for NEET
- Is veganism trendier than vegetarianism
- How are Fresnel lenses made
- What is an IT corridor
- Why were plants made before animals
- Why are toy donations helpful?
- How do Indian manufacturers connect with retailers
- How can I recover Windows data files
- What is physical and numerical modeling
- Where do investors trade
- How do I make learning enjoyable
- What do white Xanax bars say
- What are the best levitation technologies
- Are women argumentative by nature
- Indicates obsessive stalking is a mental illness
- Why not beloved cats obey their master
- How are soccer shoes designed and manufactured
- How do artists become unmotivated by drawing