What is supercooled cooking
Liquid water at minus 46 degrees
Water exhibits many anomalies that remain a mystery to researchers to this day. Least understood is the behavior of liquid water when it is cooled below nominal freezing point without freezing. Scientists have now succeeded in observing so-called supercooled water molecules at a temperature of minus 46 degrees Celsius. This temperature is in a range that has not yet been measured and is therefore called “no man's land”. They published their results in the journal "Nature".
Diagram for water at low temperatures
Usually water freezes at freezing point at 0 degrees Celsius. But if you use very pure water, in which there are no particles that can serve as nuclei for crystallization, it remains liquid even below freezing point. In no man's land - between minus 38 degrees Celsius and minus 115 degrees Celsius - supercooled water is only liquid for fractions of a second and then suddenly freezes to ice. What exactly is happening in this area is unclear, however. One of the many possible theories describes a phase transition: supercooled water changes from a high density to a low density state at a certain point.
To support or refute this theory, Jonas Sellberg from the SLAC accelerator laboratory and his colleagues used a special injector that shoots tiny water droplets into a vacuum chamber. In a vacuum, water evaporates from the surface of the droplet, and the evaporation cold cools the remaining droplets, similar to how the human body cools itself through sweating. The scientists shot ultrashort X-ray pulses at these droplets, which are only 50 femtoseconds (one femtosecond is one quadrillionth of a second) long. With these laser pulses, they were able to control the temperature and analyze the molecular structure.
In a range between minus 44 and 46 degrees Celsius, the researchers were able to observe how the structural order of the water molecules increased ever faster. These data support the theory of a phase transition in no man's land. However, the researchers hope to be able to reach significantly colder temperatures and thus better understand the behavior of water.
- Lawyers take an oath
- What does order financing cost
- How much is Twitch TV worth
- What is Fusilev
- Why is Naruto's end much criticized?
- Why are there different predictions in astrology
- How does Facebook paid advertising work
- Is philosophy a good thing for humanity
- Why do jihadists believe in killing people?
- Why do teens hate poetry
- Do Indians have a scientific temperament
- What is meet-up event
- How do you fight without beauty
- How to charge an electric toothbrush
- Was Manmohan Singh better than Narendra Modi
- Are there any fixed income projects
- What non-physical feminine traits attract men?
- Which is the best astronomy catalog
- What is the American interest in the Syrian war
- What is the fastest remedy for wart removal
- In which country is Cape Town located
- Has NID fashion design courses
- Likes Jon Snow Daenerys
- What do variations mean