What is Moseley known for?
The Moseley's law (after Henry Moseley) describes the location of the so-called Kα-Lines in the X-ray spectrum (this is the line that corresponds to the transition of an electron from the L-shell to the K-shell).
In a more general form one can also use this law to determine the wavelengths of the other lines of the X-ray spectrum. The wavelength λ of the characteristic X-ray radiation emitted or absorbed during the electron transfer depends on the atomic numberZ of the respective element and thus characteristic of a certain element.
The following applies:
- λ - wavelength of the emitted or absorbed X-ray radiation
- - Wave number of the emitted or absorbed X-ray radiation
- - Rydberg's constant (1.0973731534 107 m-1)
- Z - atomic number of the element
- K - shielding constant (shielding of the nuclear charge by electrons located between the nucleus and the electron in question)
- n1, n2 - Principal quantum numbers of the two states (n1 = inner shell, n2 = outer shell)
For the transition of an electron from the second (L-shell) to the first shell (K-shell), the so-called Kα-Transition, applies and the corresponding wavenumber is then:
The following applies to the transition of an electron from the third (M-shell) to the second shell (L-transition) .
Category: atomic physics
- Are social networks more useful than harmful
- What is your favorite smell of soaps
- Can I get a cheaper DSLR in Mumbai?
- Ammonia can damage the photochromic Photogray glass sunglasses
- Pink is a pretty color
- McGill is considered a prestigious university
- NFL players get cauliflower ears
- Docker is used for production
- What is red wine
- Airfares in India are volatile
- How does the vacuum transmit light
- Are CodeChef questions worth answering?
- Are shoes in larger sizes more expensive
- Why create a private label
- Should I shower my cat?
- What happens when SF4 is hydrolysis
- Have you ever been pwned
- How brutal was the Battle of Verdun
- Where can I buy email attachment services
- Are my split teeth ugly or not
- Why does everyone have long-distance relationships
- Where does Appolicious get its data from?
- School choice is a minority
- Cheeseburgers are outrageous