Which element has the chemical symbol La?
What is an element symbol? Definition ...
Every chemical element in the periodic table has an abbreviation officially defined by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). The purpose is to facilitate communication among chemists across national borders. Because in different countries chemical elements sometimes have very different names. An officially recognized system has the advantage that it avoids possible misunderstandings in advance.
The Swedish chemist Jöns Jakob Berzelius started defining element abbreviations in the early 19th century. The abbreviations are always derived from the Greek or Latin name of the element. For this reason there are abbreviations for a total of 16 elements that cannot be derived from the element name itself in the German language. These include: antimony (Sb = stibium), lead (Pb = plumbum), iron (Fe = ferrum), gold (Au = aurum), iodine (I = iodine), calcium (Ca = calcium), cobalt (Co = cobalt ), Carbon (C = carbon), copper (Cu = cuprum), mercury (Hg = hydrargyrum), oxygen (O = oxygenium), silver (Ag = argentum), nitrogen (N = nitrogenium), hydrogen (H = hydrogenium) , Bismuth (Bi = bismuth) and tin (Sn = stannum).
Berzelius began by defining one-word element symbols (e.g. B for boron). Since this was not enough, two-letter element symbols were also used in the following years for newly discovered elements (e.g. Th for thorium). Recently, three-letter element symbols have also found their way into the periodic table. However, only for provisionally named elements that are still waiting to be officially named. Currently this affects the four elements Ununtrium (Uut), Ununoctium (Uuo), Ununpentium (Uup) and Ununseptium (Uus).
- How do you test user interface designs
- Is a scholarship tax deductible?
- What are some department stores in japan
- Why do computers need utility software
- How can I download shows on Hotstar
- Why was Yona Hilderband banned
- Can I do a dimondor at home
- Why are there different predictions in astrology
- Kills India Kashmiri citizens
- What is the whitest city in India
- Are you from afghanistan
- What are type_traits in C.
- Is Rupi Kaur's poetry good
- What government job should I prepare for?
- What is the best free plugin
- The Joker was born crazy
- What is online onboarding
- Does oil have a biological origin?
- Taylor Swift has an official website
- What is this picture of
- What year was Tom Brady drafted?
- Is death from lack of air painful
- How do I get help with GoFundMe
- How do I focus on work