Is PewDiePie a victim
l + f: PewDiePie ransomware forces victims to subscribe to the channel
There are actually supposed to be people who simply don't have the time or inclination to deal with the YouTuber PewDiePie.
Some fans are apparently so frustrated that they want to force PewDiePie objecters to their supposed happiness. If such fans have some hacking skills with them, it can happen that suddenly tens of thousands of Chromecast adapters are playing YouTube videos or publicly accessible printers are printing out promotional flyers.
While such actions tend to fall into the "funny" category, victims of the PewDiePie ransomware that is currently circulating are likely to get the laughs stuck in their throats.
Channel subscription instead of coal
The IT news website SiliconANGLE is currently reporting on two different encryption Trojans that are apparently independently of each other.
"PieDiePie" encrypts data and tries to force users to subscribe to the PewDiePie channel. The nasty thing about it is that the badly programmed malware neither saves nor uploads the encryption keys: The data is irretrievably gone, which makes the forced channel visit a (double) waste of time.
For victims of the second ransomware called "PewCrypt" there is reason to smile: Apparently the creator got a guilty conscience and published the source code and command line decryption tool. The security software company Emsisoft built a graphical user interface around it and made the decryption tool available for download.
(ovw)Read comments (43) Go to homepage
- Is mathematics a lucrative major?
- Essentially, carbon nanotubes are an endless resource
- Why is Israel problematic
- What makes Japanese cuisine so healthy
- How can you change the world?
- How to Archive Repositories on GitHub
- What is it like to meet a model
- What animals can escape Usain Bolt
- What are good pictures for writing prompts
- Will a dog make me happy?
- Are we the only human species alive?
- How do I disinfect my air conditioner
- What makes a good living space
- Eating seeds is harmful to our colons
- What is UC Irvine best known for
- Who were the Canaanites?
- Speaks French in Ghana
- Why are cherries sometimes gummy
- What happens during home therapy
- Are atheists more rational than believers
- American political institutions are still exceptional
- Breathe Properly Nasal strips really do work
- Which artist sang the song You I.
- What should I study before I start investing?