How big is the internet overall
Live growth in terabytes (70 per second):
Internet size in petabytes:
How big is the internet? The exact size of the Internet is very difficult to determine. For these live counters, published figures from large IT sites were used. Based on the speed at which the Internet has grown over the past few years, an extrapolation was made for the next few years, according to which the size of the Internet in 2012 was 2.8 zettabytes or 2800 exabytes. If exabytes don't tell you, that's 2800 million terabytes. For storage This amount of data would require 700 million 4TB hard drives. In 2013, the amount of information on the Internet was 3.7 zettabytes. In 2016, the amount of data that is transmitted through the Internet is around 26,500 gigabytes per second. Annual traffic growth of 20% is forecast, on the basis of which the live counter below is based. One reason for this is that more and more people have access to the Internet. See: Internet users worldwide.
Doubling every 2 years The size of the internet doubles about every 2 years. For the beginning of 2018, the counters are expecting around 14.4 zettabytes of data that are distributed around the world. In 2024, the amount of data is expected to increase to 160 zettabytes It is estimated that by then 50 billion devices will be connected to the Internet (Internet of Things).
1 gigabyte: For 50 years, an author would have to write a book every week with around 190 pages, or more precisely with 383,561 letters (including sentence and spaces), which would be a billion letters or bytes.
1 terabyte: One trillion letters; if you were to write them down one millimeter apart, the length of the text would be one million kilometers. 25 times around the earth globe!
1 petabyte: The floppy disc was the storage medium of the legendary Commodore 64 in the 1980s. This floppy disk for this home computer has a capacity of 174,848 bytes and can be written on two sides. If you want to get 1 petabyte of memory full by copying old C64 disks onto it, you would have to change the disk 2 times a second for over 90 years 2.8 billion floppy disks - they would weigh 36,889 tons! Every 14 seconds the Internet increases by this amount of data!
1 Exabyte: 212 million DVDs weighing 3404 tons.
1 zettabyte: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes or letters. Printed on millimeter paper (one letter in each square), the paper would be one billion km2. The entire surface of the earth (510 million km²) would be almost twice in one layer Paper covered.
1 yottabyte: The size of the Internet in 2030, should the current growth factor of 40% annually be maintained. With this amount of data, one could record the lives of all people on earth from birth to death on video. One yottabyte is 8,000,000,000 .000,000,000,000,000 bits. The same number of water molecules would make only 240 grams of water. A small glass full! See: "How small atoms are."
The Deep Web A large part of the Internet is hidden, which means that it is not easily visible to everyone. This includes, for example, the server log files, which record every access to a website. The same applies to the “cloud”. Both entrepreneurs and private individuals are storing more and more data in them. These are "on the Internet", but can only be called up with access data.
Current Internet traffic in gigabytes per second:
- What is Donald Trump's position on Turkey
- What are some popular dolls in Japan
- Why do people like to use the internet
- What are popular fruits eaten in India
- Can the Google search engine ever fail?
- Is Dunkirk Oscar material
- What are the civil law examples
- How can companies save money through outsourcing?
- Why is a gun stuck?
- Does the planet Gootan exist
- How can I delete WhatsApp
- Where can I buy figure ornaments
- How to stop fillings Tooth bearing cavities
- Is the OnePlus 8 Pro waterproof
- Is hemp clothing 100 organic
- What is an interaction with the environment
- Why should we have entertainment
- How is life in the south
- Which processor is better Quad or Octa
- What's innovative about Haunting Melissa
- How do IPL franchisees make money
- What is the least practiced religion
- When was Telegram Messenger launched
- Is fear and depression dangerous
- Is Spotify Music Better Than Apple Music
- What are rockabilly music
- Which countries are the Vikings
- Who will win Beyonder or Beerus?
- What is meant by truth in philosophy
- What are NEPA documents
- What are the sources of your income
- Are modern night vision goggles still green?
- What is Amazon Spark
- What is a paranormal investigator