Beatings should be forbidden
Macron wants to ban beatings for children - rights want to prevent the law
Paris - In France, corporal punishment of children by their parents is to be banned in the future: The National Assembly voted on Friday night in first reading for a legislative proposal by the Liberals allied with President Emmanuel Macron. France is thus implementing European requirements several years late.
According to the proposal, a sentence is to be included in the civil code that will be read out by the registrar at weddings. According to this, the "authority of the parents should be exercised without physical or psychological violence". According to the government, slaps on the buttocks and slaps in the face will be taboo in the future.
"You don't educate by fear," said Health Minister Agnes Buzyn. Parental violence has "catastrophic effects on the development of the child".
For the bill, which is also supported by parts of the opposition, 51 MPs voted, there was one vote against and three abstentions. Conservatives and right-wing populists, on the other hand, spoke out in favor of violence by parents against their children. They complain of undue interference in family life. Parents were being fooled, it was said. The draft now goes to the Senate, which is dominated by conservatives, but the National Assembly has the final say.
In 2015, the Council of Europe warned France to implement the European Social Charter, which requires member states to ban all violence against children. A first law was overturned by the Constitutional Council in January 2017 due to formal deficiencies. The draft law does not provide for sanctions against violent parents. Health Minister Buzyn emphasized that the amendment was not "only symbolic". Because she breaks with the view, which is also widespread among judges, that parents have a "right to a beating".
In Austria violence against children for "educational purposes" has been banned since 1989. Fines and prison sentences can also be pronounced for it. (APA, November 30, 2018)
- Where does the term Albion come from
- Can I still go swimming with braces on?
- Is the AR function useful on iPhones
- Which amino acids are present in the cheese?
- What is it like to visit Skellig Michael
- What is an independent community pharmacy
- How often are referees wrong?
- Would you go out with a Kenyan
- Is syphilis a virus
- How much does a stone cost
- Can daylilies grow in the shade
- Why are sweet potatoes bad for dogs?
- Should football be banned
- What if the human cannot run
- Why does an old pressure meter fluctuate
- What is YOUR definition of age
- Which antenna receives 2 4 GHz
- Are zoos as bad as SeaWorld
- What is justice in lay language
- Why is Norway not improving the E6
- Durians are as stinky as I've heard
- How is high tech isu in TCS
- Which religion is the most patriarchal
- What is the technology stack behind StumbleUpon
- How prestigious is Cornell
- Is Donald Trump into masochism
- What carbonate breaks down into carbon dioxide
- Will HCG help me lose weight
- Do you think my eyebrows are ugly?
- Florida is the craziest state
- When was Kerala founded?
- Can the Facebook language be customized
- What do you mean by Fuehrer