What is agonal breathing
|Classification according to ICD-10|
|ICD-10 online (WHO version 2006)|
Gasping is a medical term. It describes a severe, life-threatening breathing disorder that often precedes respiratory failure. Snapping breaths are characterized by individual snapping breaths with long pauses between them. In lay resuscitation, sometimes gasping is not recognized as a threatening condition.
Signs of gasping
The term gasping is initially only used from the perspective of observing the breathing pattern. Breaths that are relatively easy to recognize are typical of a gasp, as the auxiliary breathing muscles are also used and the mouth is opened for better breathing. At the same time, the person concerned has turned pale or blue (cyanotic). The breathing rate is reduced and is usually below 10 / min. Often there is already clouding due to the falling oxygen level in the blood. The tongue often falls back and the breath is too small in volume. Breathing is erratic, breathing in through the mouth bends the head back, exhaling through the nose and mouth, and the head sinks forward again.
Causes of gasping
All causes of respiratory arrest can also be the cause of gasping.
- Overdosing on sleeping pills or opiates
- Severe lung disease
- Severe heart failure
- Heavily pushed up diaphragms from an abdominal problem
The gasp breathing also occurs shortly before death and stands for the last breaths of the dying person (agonal breathing).
The gasping breathing is probably due to diaphragmatic contractions, which occur when the oxygen concentration in the blood drops significantly below about 20 mm Hg.
The gasping breath requires immediate treatment, unless one accepts respiratory arrest in an incurable patient.
- Clear the airway
- Stable side position (if there is no ventilation)
- Bag-mask ventilation
- if possible: give oxygen
- if possible: immediate intubation
- Anexate as an antidote to benzodiazepine preparations (to rule out a sleeping pill overdose)
- Narcanti as an antidote to opiates
- Breath maleptics such as theophylline
Categories: Disease picture in pulmonology | Symptoms in emergency medicine | breathing
- Why is video evidence no longer enough?
- See Brexit as a mistake
- What is the atomic number of americium
- What accessories can I wear with jeans
- At what rating did DigitalOcean raise 50 million
- Will telekinesis ever become a reality?
- You have subscribed to the Quoras YouTube channel
- How can I get my GPS number
- Where in China is gambling legal
- What was the Qutub Minar used for?
- How did the first analog computer work
- Is box reservation makes India weaker
- What is the most racially diverse religion
- Perception can differ from intelligence
- How well did Joffrey know Stannis
- What's your favorite Abbath song
- Where are the NIOS papers checked?
- What do you like actor
- What is a meristem in a plant
- What makes forex go up and down
- What problems does pollution have
- How many C languages are there
- How do socks affect your running?
- What can be found in wetlands
- What are some series like Dexter
- How can you prepare homemade marble polish
- Is BF3 a trigonal planar
- What are filters in digital signal processing
- What is Eczema Caused By
- Is narcissism the opposite of humility
- Why are cruiser bike helmets open
- What is an EcoSan toilet