Film review means what
Lexicon of film terms
The film review is usually differentiated from the film review, which serves as a service for the cinema-goer and usually contains an evaluation recommendation in addition to a content reproduction. Film criticism, on the other hand, is about placing the film in an aesthetic, technical, economic, sociological or philosophical framework and using the film to open up a discourse on deep ideological and aesthetic meanings.
The first critical works on the film begin to appear in Germany around 1910. They are based on the established theater criticism. The interests on which the film criticism is based began to differentiate early on: if Kracauer advocated a sociologically oriented ideological criticism of film that sought to demonstrate collective ideas hidden in the aesthetic structures of the works, Arnheim and Balázs concentrated on the aesthetic qualities of film. After the Nazi era, when there was virtually no film criticism, the magazine was not formed until 1957 Movie review a new critique of the film, which was based on the socio-psychological and ideology-critical postulates of the Frankfurt School, but at the same time based on the positions of the critics of the Cahiers du Cinéma resorted to. Until then, the notion of “film as art” was in the foreground and was also the basis of the famous film history of Gregor and Patalas, but in 1966 a fundamental dispute broke out between those who wanted to criticize film as ideology and those who wanted aesthetic structures themselves to be political Look at strategies. In addition to these two positions, at the end of the 1970s, a new direction, sometimes referred to as "sensitism", saw film criticism as a literary genre and elevated the film critic to the rank of author and the high literary and journalistic reputation of authors such as André Bazin and Karsten Witte or Pauline Kael made her own program.
Today the cultural-political importance of film criticism has declined, which is due to the fact that the role of the film (as well as other arts) as a seismograph of ideological movements is no longer viewed as central. The film review, on the other hand, remains popular and is still used to promote films and introduce them to their particular audience. The differentiation of taste cultures leads to a leveling of film journalism.
Literature: Ernst, Gustav / Haberl, Georg / Schlemmer, Gottfried (eds.): Film, criticism, writing. Vienna: Europa Vlg. 1993. - Grob, Norbert / Prümm, Karl (Eds.): The power of film criticism. Positions and controversies. München: Edition Text & Criticism 1990. - Schenk, Irmbert (Hrsg.): Movie review. Inventories and perspectives. Marburg: Schüren 1998. - Schmid, Ulrich Thomas: Theory and self-image of recent German film criticism. Dissertation Münster 1995.
Association of German Film Critics
Article last changed on October 19, 2012
- Why did big eyebrows become a trend
- What will cause your petunias to stop blooming
- What is the future of Priyanka Chopras
- A narcissist will kiss you
- Is beer halal
- Evaporates salt water cleans the salt
- Who was the first agronomist
- What causes a yeast infection on the arms
- How should we study while engineering
- Why is Dunkirk not dubbed in Hindi
- Who gave the names of the chess variations
- You can braze welded stainless steel
- How do airplanes generate lift
- Stephen Hawking was a scholar
- How do flemish people pronounce eeuw
- Is apple cider vinegar helpful for everyone
- How well do you work with others
- What can I change with my actions
- Why do Russian blue cats like water
- What music reminds you of your grandparents
- Why do people have trouble articulating themselves
- What should be the center of life
- How do I pronounce Bharatiya