How did the Finnish language develop
Where does Finnish come from?
People often mistakenly assume that the languages of neighboring countries are closely related.
Finns are often asked: "Is Finnish like Swedish?" or “Does everyone in Finland speak Russian?” The simple answer to both questions is "No!" Swedish, although one of the two official languages in Finland, and Russian belong to the Indo-European language group, while Finnish belongs to the Finnish-Ugric language group, which includes Hungarian, Estonian, Sami (spoken by the indigenous people in northern Finland, Sweden, Norway and in the north-west of Russia ) and some lesser-known languages spoken in Russia.
That the Finnish-Ugric languages have a common origin is sufficiently proven by common lexical and grammatical features. Although these languages have diverged over thousands of years, common traits can be identified. Including:
1) absence of gender (the same Finnish pronoun “hän” denotes both “he” and “she” and “it”)
2) Missing articles (der, die, das in German)
3) long words due to the structure of the language
4) numerous grammatical cases
5) Ownership is expressed by suffixes
6) Postpositions in addition to prepositions
7) no equivalent for the verb "haben"
There are various speculative theories about the time and place of origin of the so-called proto-Finnish-Ugric language group. According to the most popular theory, Hungarian and Finnish are only separated by a six thousand year separate development.
How long Finnish-speaking people have settled in Finland is a question that has always interested Finnish scholars. Today it is assumed that since at least 3000 BC People of the Finnish-Ugric language lived in the region of today's Finland, who in the following millennia expanded their contacts with neighboring Indo-European languages (e.g. Baltic, Germanic and Slavic dialects).
Numerous loan words in Finnish, Estonian and other Baltic-Finnish languages (Karelian, Lüdisch, Wepsisch, Wotisch and Livisch) attest to the existence of contacts between people of the Finnish language group and Indo-Europeans. But not only vocabulary was borrowed, but also numerous grammatical forms. Most of the borrowings in today's Finnish language come from the Germanic and Scandinavian languages, especially Swedish.
Afraid of Finnish? »
The Complexity of “I Like You” »
By Hannele Branch, Lecturer in Finnish at the University of London
Ideas for a better life: Millennium Technology Prize in livestream and online innovation forum
The 2020 Millennium Technology Prize winner will be announced in a live-streamed ceremony on May 18. Following the ceremony, a virtual event will take place online on May 19, the Millennium Innovation Forum.
“The World Was Big Back then”: A Brief Guide to Finland's Moomin Books
Here is our short list of Moomin novels by Tove Jansson, arguably Finland's most famous writer and artist. Here you can relive the adventures or discover the original books if you've just read the comics. Plus: A slide show takes you to the Moomin exhibition at the Finnish National Museum.
Finland celebrates 100 years of independence in 2017
The Finns gained their independence on December 6, 1917. The country is celebrating its 100th anniversary year in Finland and around the globe with countless events.
"Circular Fashion" goes well with Finland
With its hip flea market boutiques through to luxury re-commerce, the Finnish second-hand fashion scene signals a shift towards the circular economy in the fashion industry.
- Is strongly good or bad 1
- How much human genes affect human life
- What sound do downy woodpeckers make
- Has NID fashion design courses
- Why is satellite television so expensive
- How do you say poker in Dutch
- Does the car scraper really work
- What are the facts about Alwar City
- What is regulatory genomics
- Who changed the Indian music genre
- Skype gift cards and vouchers
- Who are the philosophers of epistemology
- How talented was Aretha Franklin
- Being lonely can cause unhappiness
- What song scared you as a child
- How does it work when yields go down
- Is Toblerone chocolate
- When can we see ghosts?
- Did asteroids ever hit Jupiter's core?
- List of property developers in Malaysia
- Uses Comcast fiber optic cables
- Playing video games can relieve stress
- Why did my wife cheat
- What does 1 50 GB