What makes some people invisible to others
Neuroscience: How it feels to be invisible
Even if researchers continue to make progress in the field of stealth technology: it will probably be some time before there is an invisibility cloak that can also be used to make people disappear. Scientists working with Arvid Guterstam from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, however, did not stop them from testing how an invisible person feels. It turned out that especially those who do not like to stand in front of a large audience could benefit from it.
With the help of special glasses, the researchers put 125 volunteers into a virtual world in which they had no body. When they looked down at themselves, they saw nothing - as if they were invisible. The experimenter stroked various parts of the subjects' bodies with a brush; In the virtual world, they could observe how a virtual brush stroked the corresponding empty space. According to their own statements, the test participants actually felt as if their limbs were transparent - so the illusion was successful.
In this state Guterstam and his colleagues finally exposed the test subjects to a stressful social situation by placing them in front of a virtual audience of unfriendly-looking strangers. In such a situation, the heartbeat usually accelerates and the tension increases. However, the invisible body significantly mitigated this effect, the test subjects had a lower heart rate and reported less stress than a comparison group who had to endure the situation with a clearly visible virtual body. In their eyes, the scientists have not only proven that a healthy person can be convincingly tricked into believing that they are invisible, but that this illusion also has socio-cognitive consequences. In their opinion, this raises the question of how people would morally deal with the "power of invisibility" if one day it does come within reach.
- The US gets a lot of Brexit news
- Has anyone heard of McCarthyism in Hollywood?
- What are the Georgians famous for
- What is database management system development
- What are some myths about top of the class
- How does a lobbyist work 1
- Man's salvation is self-dependent
- How do I become an INFJ 1
- What is the Barranquilla Carnival
- Should we try past life regression
- Journalism is a risky profession
- Have plants embryos
- How does a tiebreaker work in tennis
- Why are tennis halls unusual?
- Was the Rev. Billy Graham a universalist
- How do I deal with a stupid manager
- What drives the mutual fund market
- What did Donald Trump say about UFOs
- Why is it important to say no
- What is the first Hellsing
- Will Palestine ever be free?
- IIT Bombay Hostels have WiFi
- What is the corresponding noun of accept?
- What is the Insanity Workout Calendar
- Which ball sports can be considered? Efficient? be considered
- Which three websites do you visit most often
- What is the impact of a financial depression
- Is Hillary Clinton Russophobic
- Who is the Best Event Planner in Pune
- Are atheists more rational than believers
- Is climate change causing food insecurity?
- What is the downside of fishing
- MAIT is a good college for MBA
- India has state income taxes