Which countries are the Vikings
Home of the Vikings
The Viking people were represented in the Anglo-Saxon as well as in the Scandinavian region and even used to extend their long journeys to the Orient, Baghdad or the Baltic States as well as Russia. The main reason for the extensive travel and spread of the Vikings was above all trade and, of course, the looting trains for which the Vikings have become so well known.
Because of the geographic orientation of their homeland, the Norwegian Vikings mainly traveled to Great Britain including the Scottish Islands, the Swedish Vikings, historically known as Varangians, traveled east for the same reason: to Russia, the Baltic States, down to Turkey and Baghdad. The reasons that were responsible for the prevailing poverty in what was then Scandinavia and that prompted the trips were the harsh climate, overpopulation and poor soil conditions.
The original home of the Vikings was the Scandinavian region, but here too the area of origin is mainly restricted to Norway and Sweden. Later, the area of settlement of the Vikings in the Scandinavian region was expanded to include Iceland, which was populated by Norwegian Vikings. A particularly striking settlement of the Vikings, where the highest concentration of Viking Age rune stones can be found, is, for example, the Swedish region of Uppland.
Society in Sweden and Norway during the Viking Age was dominated by men. Women are only mentioned in the second half of the 9th century, around 100 years after the official beginning of the Viking Age. Nevertheless, they played an equally important role, since they had to look after the homestead, including children and cattle, by themselves. A high child mortality rate also made social security more difficult if the woman was widowed.
Test your knowledge of the Middle Ages (and learn from it)!
- Astrology is a measurable science
- Why did my wife cheat
- Who would win between Deadpool Daredevil
- Which group has the lowest electron affinity?
- Why aren't LED LCD monitors curved?
- What are the sources of your income
- What makes HotelTonight a tenable business model
- Are taxis safe in Sao Paulo?
- What is a comparable interface in Java
- What is special about Allahabad
- Uses Comcast fiber optic cables
- What is your favorite contemporary Christian song
- Are Alexa's statistics correct?
- What's your rating of accordions
- What was McCarthyism
- When is a hydrogen fuel cell more economical?
- Isn't he grammatically wrong
- Why does Conor hate Khabib so much
- What celebrities have the BTS members dated
- What is port timing
- Is 2WD front wheel drive
- What is Brahman in Hinduism 1
- Should Mother's Day be an international holiday
- How can I expand my vocabulary through a newspaper