Has Los Angeles smog
Summer smog in CaliforniaCool roofs could increase ozone levels
Black is out in California. New or renovated house roofs must have a light surface so that they reflect incident sunlight and no longer heat up as much. New climate protection laws in the heat-plagued US state dictate that. And the usually white roof surfaces also make a difference, as Scott Epstein, atmospheric chemist and employee of an environmental agency that monitors air quality in the greater Los Angeles area, says:
"Cool roofs have several advantages. They soften the heat in the city and thus reduce thermal stress for the residents. This is a positive health effect. It also reduces the energy required for cooling the building. This leads to lower electricity bills."
Concentration of ozone could increase
But Epstein and some colleagues have now discovered: The cooling roof tiles and panels also have an undesirable side effect that was previously unknown. Not only do they reflect visible sunlight as desired. Most of them also reflect a certain amount of UV radiation, which is also contained in the solar spectrum. And that's bad. Because this could exacerbate another environmental problem: pollution with air pollutants.
"If you increasingly use materials that reflect UV light, the concentration of ground-level ozone could increase. That is a reason for us to be concerned."
Ozone is a gas that irritates the respiratory tract and is an integral part of summer smog. It is created photochemically. This requires the sun's UV radiation. It encounters nitrogen oxides in the air, breaks them down, and ozone is then formed in a subsequent reaction with atmospheric oxygen. A process that the white roofs also stimulate when they also reflect UV light. Chris Field, professor of environmental studies at Stanford University. He reviewed the new study from Southern California:
"When a roof like this reflects the sun's UV radiation, the light passes through the atmosphere a second time and produces more ozone. That's why I think the new study is important: it warns us of errors in the development of technologies for white roofs. "
Only a slight increase in the values is still worrying
Scott Epstein and his colleagues anticipated the development in a computer model: If all future cooling roofs in the greater Los Angeles area reflect UV light, then the ozone concentration will increase everywhere. The increase in the peak values is quite small. In the simulation it was a maximum of one to two percent. But summer smog is often stronger in southern California than anywhere else in the USA, and the limit values for ozone are to be tightened further:
"From a health point of view, the increase may be small. But it is becoming more and more difficult for us to adhere to the maximum levels of ozone that will still be permitted in the future. Every little bit counts! We are already spending a lot of money today to add the smallest amounts of ozone from the atmosphere Obtain."
The solution: harmless, light-colored roof coatings
More cool roofs, more summer smog - but that doesn't necessarily have to happen. Because that is also stated in the study: There are light-colored roof paints and coatings that do not reflect UV radiation. That emerges from laboratory analyzes that are already available in isolated cases today. Chris Field therefore advises only allowing such uncritical materials:
"I think the study is so nice because it also offers a solution: We have types of cool roofs available that do not aggravate the ozone problem."
- What is the passport stamp of the KTU
- Does pornography affect your sexual orientation
- Do heights are really genetically controlled
- What if you are really ugly
- Who would win Ho Oh or Entei
- How are electronic devices grounded in airplanes
- Teaches evolution to blunt scientific discovery
- How do Android starters make money
- Which Quora topic is causing the most trouble
- What are short hairstyles
- What are the properties of blood
- Where can I donate clothes in NYC
- Is Saturn's moon Titan a conquered planet?
- On which websites do Indonesians chat
- How tourists threaten habitats in Antarctica
- Which song has a great saxophone intro
- Do insects have memories
- How to say harm in Mandarin
- Which materials produce radioactive waste
- Which artist sang the song Needed Me
- Why are the DU limits so high 1
- How do hanging walls and footboards differ?
- Country club is good
- What are the advantages of DAB radio
- Why is wearing black considered nifty
- Can you decipher the word rdya?
- Do you hear Yungblud
- Who created China
- Can I charge my iPhone?
- Why do dogs groom each other
- What important events occurred in 1941
- Which oil is best for thickening hair