Are there reservoirs in Daemmen
Questions and answers about dams
Many people have to leave their homes. Estimates go from 80 million and more. The weakest in society are often hit: indigenous peoples, fishermen and smallholders. They not only lose their livelihood, but often also their cultural roots. For many peoples, rivers have a spiritual meaning.
Tens of thousands of people are relocated for large projects. For the Three Gorges Dam in China, 1.4 million had to give way. Often the compensation is far too low. Fishermen and farmers are offered housing in cities where they have no source of income. Sometimes locals are simply chased away because they have no land titles.
The construction sites attract thousands of workers. Often the cities in the vicinity are not up to the onslaught. There is too little living space and social facilities such as hospitals. Crime and prostitution are increasing.
There is resistance to many dam projects. The police, the military and private security services sometimes use force against demonstrators. There are dead and injured.
People also suffer on the lower reaches of dammed rivers, hundreds or thousands of kilometers from dams. Estimates go from 500 to 750 million. Because the transport of sediments that contribute to the fertility of the soils in river plains is disrupted, agricultural yields decline. Soils can become too salty.
Scientists also attribute the shrinking river deltas to dams. As a result, mangroves are destroyed, agricultural land is lost and storm surges are favored, which endanger large areas. In Pakistan, for example, the Indus is so tightly regulated by 19 dams and 43 canals that very little water reaches the delta.
Dams contribute to the spread of disease. If there are no floods on the lower reaches, more mosquito larvae will survive.
- Why is palm oil controversial
- How do you take it easy
- The muscle fiber type is important
- Did A R Rehman Engineering
- Why do people like to use the internet
- How can braces repair overbites?
- Is it helpful to take a bogus CAT?
- Why are BART cars so loud
- Can poverty ever be justified
- Why don't people like Sarada's design
- Why does Trump hate refugees
- 10 best extensions to Chrome from Google
- Who is your favorite online streamer
- Are Facebook ads working
- What fish lives in Lake Taupo
- What is a solo microwave
- Are bikinis and pants the same thing?
- What are the profits of mulethi licorice
- How do greenhouses stay warm?
- How do I write an LLVM backend
- What or who is a state actor
- Kannada Cinema Why did Ramya join politics
- How many rings does Ben Roethlisberger have
- Who is the CEO of Adobe