You could be electrocuted from an iPad
After the latest death: no smartphone in the bathtub!
Parents warn their children from an early age: be careful with the hairdryer in the bathroom. But what many do not have on their radar: This also applies to other technical devices! Although small children learn that electricity and water should be kept as far away from each other as possible, the two components are still an underestimated danger.
- More and more people are also using smartphones in the bathtub.
- Only recently there was another death in Switzerland.
- A 22-year-old used her cell phone in the tub while she plugged the smartphone into the charger.
- When it fell into the tub, she was electrocuted and fatally injured. The woman died on the spot.
More on this: Individual case: death by spray deodorant
Technical devices in the bathroom are taboo
The cell phone is actually harmless in the bathtub: If the smartphone or laptop is not connected to the mains, the voltage is too low to trigger an electric shock. However, as soon as the technical gadget is connected to the circuit, for example via a charging cable, there is danger. Many people forget or underestimate the situation. But be careful: If the device falls into water and the socket is not earthed, this can lead to a fatal electric shock.
Cheap online chargers can also cause electric shocks. Therefore, always pay attention to the "CE" marking, which corresponds to the European standard.
Read more: 11 tips to avoid being struck by lightning
Cell phone power accidents are increasing
Although experts speak of an individual case and an exceptional situation, the number of accidents is increasing, as the following examples from the recent past prove:
- February 2016: A 21-year-old German slips his smartphone into the bathtub and barely survives cardiac arrest.
- July 2017: A 14-year-old girl from the USA was playing in the bathtub with the mobile phone connected to the charging cable and was fatally electrocuted.
- December 2018: A 15-year-old Russian woman dies after dropping the connected smartphone from her hand into the water.
- April 2021: The case described above causes consternation in Switzerland.
Every accident is one too many. Talk to children and people around you about the danger from the socket, many are simply not aware of the danger.
More on this: 5 first aid myths
Don't take any chances and declare the bathroom a technology-free zone. Because even if you lie in the bathtub with your smartphone without a charging cable, it can break. Save yourself the drama, prefer to relax without a smartphone and take a digital break - you will see how it is good for you!
More on this: Avoiding swimming accidents for children
- How many types of dopamine are there
- What should I call my school club?
- How are electronic devices grounded in airplanes
- What is a dream what is reality
- Why do companies succumb to fierce competition
- How did the Voyager 1 work
- What is your preferred cognitive tendency
- What are some examples of suspension
- What is synthetic motor oil
- Which planet is the safest for humans?
- How have MLB bats changed over time?
- 20 rep squats are effective
- Stephen Hawking was a scholar
- What is the grinding process of nutmeg
- What is the importance of scientific cooperation
- How do optical fibers work
- Which industry makes most people unhappy?
- What is the Magnus Effect
- What is your music playlist
- What is the national bird of Lebanon
- Which element has the chemical symbol La?
- How do birds beat silently with the wings
- What is the relationship between land and ocean
- Will Roblox ever shut down
- Why is sociological theory important
- How is the temperature kept in an oven
- How was your first interview off campus
- Papa Johns insures their drivers
- All dinosaurs were reptiles 1
- How can I stop hiding my feelings?
- Could a president lift the term limit?
- Do hair restorers work
- Can poverty ever be justified